Poetry as sound
Master thesis project in the field of Musical Sonification which consists of an application that maps the poem Os Lusíadas by Luís de Camões into sounds. The application presents two main features: the sound that gives the information of the poem and a visual component that works as a label. The main goal was to create a new approach to analyse poetry - in this case Os Lusíadas - through sound that reflects its structure, story and rhyme characteristics. The development of this project implied some research on the Sonification field, the analysis of the poem and the construction of the application, from the graphical approach to the programing development. It was also created a physical artefact that documented the process and the results obtained after research.
- Concept Creation
- Dataset Construction
- Visual Graphics
- Editorial Design
- Ableton Live
- Adobe Indesign
- Adobe Illustrator
- RTP: As Horas Extraordinárias
- Soldado, C. (2018). Os Lusíadas têm uma música interior – e o Twitter também. Ípsilon.
- Coelho, Â., Martins, P., & Cardoso, A. (2017). A Portuguese Epopee Seen Through Sound. Paper presented at the xCoAx Conference, Porto, Portugal.
- Coelho, Â., Martins, P., & Cardoso, A. (2016). A Musical Sonification of the Portuguese Epopee. Paper presented at the Workshop on Musical Metacreation (MUME), Paris, France.
- Vimeo: Musical Sonification of the Portuguese Epopee